Friday, October 7, 2011

One Week Later

So, here we are, a week later. A week ago at this time we were at Children's Hospital, and Julie, after being so rudely introduced to the intense pain that this world can cause, was finally calming down, aided by some baby drugs. Less than a week ago, I awkwardly fumbled with the gauze, bandages, adaptec, tape, bacitracin, bowls of soapy and clean water... Now I do it alone in less than 5 minutes, stat, even with her trying to wave her hands or trying to interfere.
My girls have been amazed at how God designed our bodies to heal. On Monday the docs at Shriner's gave us an excellent report, but I had a hard time believing that in 5-10 days she would have new pink skin. It just looked so gnarly, it bled and the dressing always stuck to the wounds, despite ample amounts of ointment. But, just look at it tonight! It looks beautiful and pink, so healthy. The edges of the wounds are dark - it's the remainder of the burnt skin, but it's becoming easier and easier to peel those away. The dressing didn't stick last night for the first time! Julie has been a trooper through it all, she has hardly cried as she endured all the dressing changes several times a day - and even when her arm was scrubbed at Shriner's on Monday! We are going back for a check up this coming Monday.
This evening we went to nearby Kinman Farms, and what a perfect time it was! Natalie was such a little cowgirl, loving the pony ride!
The girls picked out their little pumpkins - there were hundreds of them!
Emily looks so big on that pony... She is growing up so fast. She was taking wonderful care of Julie most of the evening, carrying her around with her, including on the hayride. At one point, Emily ran up to me as I sat by the fire, munching on my s'more. I asked her why she wasn't playing, and she said that all of a sudden she got a feeling that she needed to be by me, because she doesn't do it often. So, we snuggled together, and I told her that many years from now, she would be tucking her kids into bed at this hour, and hopefully she would remember this evening, as we sat by the fire together, quietly singing Russian camp fire songs. I felt incredibly blessed to have this sweet time with her, especially after a rocky morning together.
Here we are with Sarah and her son Josh - time has flown too fast... We first met when Josh was just a couple of months old and I was pregnant with Natalie. Sarah is one of the most generous people I know and she has blessed us with so many fun trips and events throughout these 6 years. Josh is like a brother to Emily and Natalie. And, tonight he was so attentive to Julie. I look forward to Julie getting to know Josh and her "aunt."
This evening, as it was dark and the air smelled of fire and fresh leaves and dirt, I basked in the sweetness and peacefulness of the moment. Fire was crackling, the stars were twinkling, country music was playing... I was walking back from an unlit spot where I had nursed Julie (who kept getting distracted by the bright moon), I simply stopped, closed my eyes and slow danced with her for a bit. I'm incredibly blessed and thankful for a peaceful end to our day, especially reflecting on the events of a week ago...

No comments: